In Obojobo, a set of permissions is tied to each Learning Object. When you create a new Learning Object, you become the owner of it. As the owner, Obojobo allows you to add collaborators to your Learning Object with different permission levels. Read below for details on the available permission levels.
- Owner: Owners have full rights to a Learning Object. This means that owners can edit, delete, change the permission level for users, add and remove collaborators, and publish Instances from the Learning Object. It is important to note that Instances can only be created from a Master Object.
- Co-Developer: The co-developer role is suited for allowing a user to help you develop a learning object without having the elevated power of an owner. Co-developers can edit the object, but cannot delete, cannot change permissions, cannot add or remove collaborators, and by default cannot publish instances.
- Observer: The observer role is designed to allow users to only preview your object. An observer can preview the object, but will be unable to edit the object, delete, change permissions, add or remove collaborators, and by default won’t be able to publish instances.
These permissions have been summarized in the following table:
|Permission Level||Preview||Edit||Delete||Modify Permissions||Add/Remove Collaborators||Publish Instances|
By default, users with the co-developer and observer roles will not be able to publish instances of the object (if that object is a master). You can change this setting by granting the right to publish instances. Note that owners can always publish instances.
One of the powerful Obojobo features is the ability to collaborate with your colleagues and designers. That is, you have the ability to add collaborators for the authoring of objects. Note that (as stated in the above section) you will need to be an owner to add or remove collaborators or modify permissions.
To add collaborators to your object:
- Login into the Obojobo repository
- In the ‘My Objects’ section, selected an object
- Click on ‘Share’
- Click on the ‘Add Collaborators’ button in the Permissions window.
- Select the name of the collaborator in the “Users to Add” list, then click the “Add” button. This will bring the selected user over to the “Collaborators” list on the right. When your finished adding users, click ‘Next’.
- Select the permission level you want to give to the collaborators by clicking on the radio button. If you select “Co-Developer” or “Observer” you will be given the additional option of allowing the collaborator to be able to publish instances. By default this setting will be unchecked.
Removing Collaborators & Modifying Permissions
- Select the desired object from the ‘My Objects’ section
- Click on ‘Share’
- Select the name of the user you wish to modify the permissions for from the collaborators list.
- Change the new permission level for that user. Select ‘None’ to revoke all permissions and remove them completely as a collaborator.
Tip: Adding and Removing can be done in groups. You can select multiple users by shift-selecting. Control clicking also works.